Sunday, January 29, 2012

On coding specifics

I'm going to start writing my models in Java because I have a high level of comfort with it and at this stage I have zero interest in wrestling with syntax in languages I haven't used in over two years (C# and C++). I plan to rewrite the systems in C# or C++ when I'm ready to start looking at graphics, but that is a long way off yet. I plan to do the graphics in XNA so I can focus on the stuff I care about and not spend an eternity mucking around with graphics horribleness since A) I'm bad at it and B) it's not as important to me.

The systems code will probably be in C# as well, provided the performance impact compared to C++ is acceptable. If it's not, I'll have to migrate it.

In order for performance to be acceptable as the model grows in scale, I'll probably have to multithread parts of the application, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. In the meantime, I will try to write my code with multithreading in the back of my mind so the transition is as smooth as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment